The need for a gallantry medal for other ranks (not officers) was first recognised during the Crimean War. The medals have always been issued named, and carry the number, rank and name of the recipient, from 1801 until about 1901. Since 1916 it has ranked as a superior decoration to the Military Medal and, as a result, has been replaced by the Conspicuous Gallantry Cross.
Obverse - Bust of George V. Reverse - a four line inscription across the field FOR DISTINGUISHED CONDUCT IN THE FIELD.
This reproduction Distinguished Conduct Medal is made from lead-free pewter. It is supplied on a red and blue ribbon attached to a card with an image of an explosion along a German trench as British troops wait to advance on the front and historical information on the reverse.